Monday 11 July 2011

Small bears - better late than never

Sorry, I got waylaid and haven't shown you my new small bear's design, as I promised a couple of postings ago.
It went quite well, the first one is in a gold sparse mohair.  This is Jimmy (wee Jimmy).  I was fairly pleased with him for a first attempt.  The black nose cotton was 5 strands thick and I found that splitting it into 2 strands was about right for the tiny nose and mouth.  I think that the 3 strand pieces that are left will look better on the 5" bears than the full thickness so I will use it for their noses from now on.

He turned out a 4" bear.  Here he is shown against a 5" bear.








I made a bit of a mistake when putting his label in - got it in upside down!  I blame the painkillers that I'm taking for the Sciatica.

The joints I had were not as small as I thought and were a bit of a squeeze in the arms and legs so I set about widening them (the limbs) so that they fitted better.  I also thought the ears and the feet were a bit too small so increased the size of them too.

Meet Pinkie

Here is the next creation, a completely different look in 2 shades of longer pile pink mohair.  She measured 4.5" but I think the extra half inch is because her mohair is so much longer than Jimmy's.


She sits nicely in my hand

I'm still not sure that the feet are quite large enough, but it is difficult to tell with such a hairy bear.
I found that it was easier to show their actual size by taking the photographs in my hand.
Here is Pinkie sitting with Susie, a 12" bear to show the scale a bit more.

The bears are all available from my Folksy and Etsy online shops (see links to the right of this page) or my Sunday shop at Alby Crafts, Erpingham a few miles from Cromer on the Norwich to Cromer Road - A140.  Post code for those of you with Satnavs is NR11 7QE.  The shop is open 10am to 5pm Sundays only.

You can order any of my bears by e-mail too.  I take cheques (these will take a week to clear before the bear will be sent out), postal orders or paypal.  Please e-mail pauline.kingsley@btinternet.com for details.

2 comments:

  1. The small bears are lovely soo cute. I live in Norfolk so next time I am that way, I will take a look in your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those new bears are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete