Friday 23 November 2012

Vintage Glove Puppets

I have been finding a few glove puppets in my never ending search for old bears and toys (or hand puppets as they are sometimes called).
I only have one left in my Etsy shop at the moment.  He is a Mr Twisty Bun from Merrythought.
Mr & Mrs Twisty Puss and Mrs Twisty Bun 24"/61cm
and the full set in 11"/28cm
The Mr and Mrs Twisty toys were listed in their catalogue from 1965 to 1974.  They also made Mr and Mrs Twisty Puss toys (see picture from book).  They were dressed and had wire frames inside so that they could be twisted into different positions.
My Mr Twisty Bun puppet does not have a wire frame, but has the same character face as the toys.
I think he would have been made a bit later than the toys - late 1970's, possibly 1980's.  He has his Merrythought label stitched onto his back

Mr Twisty Bun Puppet
I have 3 more puppets to come.  Two of them will need a bit of work and at this moment I do not know who they are made by. This is the only picture I have of them.
 
In the meantime I will leave you with pictures of the puppets that have been sold.
Dean's Black Cat
Chad Valley Sooty

 
Chimp (unknown maker)
Steiff Rabbit
I will continue to try to find more of these little characters to put in my collection.
 
As well as the vintage bears I like to source unusual old toys that are usually bear related.
Christmas mini flocked bears


Mini flocked bears - playground
Recently I have found a batch of miniature flocked bears (1.5"/10cm) and I am currently going through some gorgeous teddy bear porcelain figures to prepare them for listing.  Also I have some wind up flocked bears to sort out.
That is as well as the couple of nightdress case dogs that need a clean (and one of them needs eyes), a very large tubby bear, a Chad Valley cartoon faced bear, a rabbit with red felt clothes, a small Merrythought bear with one eye, a Chiltern grey cat that smells really fusty, and a pretty, soft, unjointed bear, possibly a 1960's-70's Chad Valley.
That is in between knitting and sewing more cats, dogs and bears.
 
Oh dear, December is looming and I don't think I have time for Christmas!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment