Monday 25 June 2012

The making of A Pretty Blue Bear and a Soft Tipped Mohair Bear - Part 1

It is a long time since I have showed any work in progress, so I decided to show the two new mohair bears that I am currently making.
The first is a 7" in a white with blue tip sparse and shaggy mohair.  I have never used this mohair before so it is exciting not knowing how he/she is going to turn out.
I have chosen a mid blue ultrasuede for the paws to compliment the blue tip on this pretty mohair.

I don't think my big white Real Soft Toys cat
minds being used as a model for the mohair
The other bear will be 4-5" and is being made from a beautifully soft gold with rust tip which I was told is used a lot for making ducklings.  He will have peach coloured ultrasuede paws.
I have already cut him out and do not have enough of this mohair left to show you it in the 'piece'.
Here is Butterscotch a 6" bear made from the same mohair, but with gold paws.
Butterscotch 6" mohair bear
I have got all the pieces stitched together and have stuffed and jointed the arms and legs.  Recently I purchased some smaller cotterpin joints that will make it much easier to assemble the 4-5" bears.
The head is also stuffed ready for my favourite bit - nose, mouth, eyes and ears. 
First I have to sew up the stuffing seams in the arms and legs and comb out any trapped mohair.
Here are the pieces so far. 
The pieces of the two bears ready for assembling
On my Spaniel tray (found in a second hand shop) there is also my trusty old pincussion, strong thread, two sizes of sharp scissors, two sizes of cotterpin turners, the rest of the joint components I will need and my little homemade stuffing tool.  My husband made it for me years ago and I would be lost without it.  It is a metal crocheting hook inserted and glued hooked end into a bradawl handle and then bound with string.  It is great for stuffing and turning smaller size bears.  
I will show more of the progress of these bears tomorrow.
Butterscotch and many other bears - new handmade mohair and vintage, can be found on my website

No comments:

Post a Comment